The Absolute Recovery Process from a Panda Hit
Is your website suffering from severe decline in the site’s traffic? Then it is possible that your site is experiencing a Google Panda hit. Being a website owner, one must be very well aware of the consequences of decline in site’s traffic. It directly leads to decrease in the Google rank of the site. Hence, recovery from such a grave situation is an imperative step to be taken. There is no sight better than seeing your site recovering from a panda hit and regaining its usual traffic.
With the rolling out of Google Panda 4.1 earlier this year, every website was at stake to be penalized. Those who escaped can’t ensure themselves of life-long relief. And those who were penalized, they need to undergo sheer hard work in an organized way to make up for the loss in traffic. To whom everything about Panda hit is sounding Greek; here is a brief take on what is meant by a Google Panda hit. The history of Google Panda updates dates back to February 2011. In a nutshell, it is a search filter introduced and utilized by Google to prohibit sites deprived of high quality content and jam-packed with old pages to take top position in Google ranks.
So now that you are aware of the reason behind the sudden decline in your site’s traffic, you need to buckle up to follow the complete recovery process so that none of your hard work done during the recovery goes in vain. Here are the steps to be taken under Full Panda audit:
- Enlist ‘all pages’ of your website: You first need to assemble ‘all pages’ of your website. By ‘all pages’ we here refer to the top pages of your website which your Google indexes. Now how to find that? Check out the three different ways:
Make use of Google Webmaster tool: Go to Search Traffic> Search Queries>Top pages to accomplish the task.
Take help from Google Analytics: Go to Behavior>Site content>All pages to find the pages of your website, including the URLs that Google indexes.
Website crawler or SEO spider tool can be beneficial in duplicating a Google website scrape.
- Eradicate the duplicate urls: Now that you have got the list of URLs of the top pages of your website, then remove the duplicates by using the functionality of Excel’s internal duplicate remover or by the help of any third-party tool.
- Collect url data and page metrics: This follows a three step process:-
URL PROFILER: The task of Panda audit can be well executed with the help of URL profiler. This spontaneous tool provides with a wide range of metrics, about 50, which would help in examining the website. Also link URL profiler with your SEO tools and analytics to get important metrics comprising of Word count, readability score, reading time and multimedia content.
SHUN DUPLICATE CONTENT: One of the notable points about Panda is that it hits often where duplicate content is in excess, so just remove the duplicate content to prevent your site receiving poor quality score.
EVALUATION: This is the final step. The spreadsheet which contains the list of the URLs of the top pages of your website needs to be sorted in some manner. The deciding prime factors for the sorting could be Page views, Word count, average time spent on web etc. Once sorted, you can better decide which pages are to be kept, and which are to be appended or removed.
- Optimization: With the list of pages you want to keep, the next step is to optimize the content of your website. Ensure your pages contains adequate amount of target keywords. Utilize On-page Optimization spreadsheet template. In the final step, append your site with updated content and keywords.
- Time for a technical audit: There are various tools prevailing in the market which can provide you with the statistics regarding what Google thinks about our site. One of such tools is Webmaster Tool. It presents the areas of your site which requires amendment, according to Google. It also highlights the flaws like crawl errors, pages with few links, short meta description etc. Once you are aware of the flaws, you can take remedial measures to correct them. Also keep a note of your page speed with the help of Google Page Speed Insight Tool and try to optimize it.
- Keep a note of mobile traffic: With the ever-growing demand for Smartphones, in no time the whole of the web access point share would be taken over by mobile devices. Your SEO strategy is futile if it doesn’t prioritize mobile search optimization. Make use of tools like responsive web design to enhance the Google rank of your site in mobile searches.
Panda audits have now become inherent part of SEO. We need to take suitable measures to avoid any action which can prove to have serious consequences in quality rank of your site. And in case of a panda hit, follow the aforementioned procedure for the recovery process.